2001 Legislative Session: 2nd Session, 37th Parliament
The following electronic version is for informational purposes only.
The printed version remains the official version.
[ . . . Previous ]
ORDERS OF THE DAY -- Continued
No. 11 -- Wednesday, August 8, 2001 -- 2 p.m.
MOTIONS ON NOTICE
- 1 The Hon. R. Coleman to move--
- That a Special Committee to Review the Police Complaint Process be appointed and empowered to examine, inquire into and make recommendations with respect to the police complaints process in accordance with section 51.2 of the Police Act (RSBC 1996, c. 367) and in particular, without limiting the generality of the foregoing to:
- 1. Review comprehensively Part 9 (Complaint Procedure) of the Police Act and the work of the Police Complaint Commissioner;
- 2. Solicit and consider written and oral submissions from any interested person or organization by any means the Committee considers appropriate;
- 3. Submit a Report including any amendments to Part 9 that the Committee recommends to the Legislative Assembly arising out of the results of the Committee's inquiry within one year of this resolution being adopted by the House.
- The Special Committee so appointed shall have the powers of a Select Standing Committee and is also empowered:
- (a) to appoint of their number, one or more subcommittees and to refer to such subcommittees any of the matters referred to the Committee;
- (b) to sit during a period in which the House is adjourned, during the recess after prorogation until the next following Session and during any sitting of the House;
- (c) to adjourn from place to place as may be convenient;
- (d) to retain such personnel as required to assist the Committee;
- and shall report to the House as soon as possible, or following any adjournment, or at the next following Session, as the case may be; to deposit the original of its reports with the Clerk of the Legislative Assembly during a period of adjournment and upon resumption of the sittings of the House, the Chair shall present all reports to the Legislative Assembly.
- That the Special Committee of Selection be empowered to compile the list of Members for the said Committee.
[ . . . Previous ]
[ Return to: Legislative Assembly Home Page ]
Copyright © 2001:
Queens Printer, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada