Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services
Terms of Reference
On September 14, 2009, the Legislative Assembly agreed that the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services be empowered:
- To examine, inquire into and make recommendations with respect to the budget consultation paper prepared by the Minister of Finance in accordance with section 2 of the Budget Transparency and Accountability Act and, in particular, to:
- Conduct public consultations across British Columbia on proposals and recommendations regarding the provincial budget and fiscal policy for the coming fiscal year by any means the committee considers appropriate, including but not limited to public meetings, telephone and electronic means;
- Prepare a report no later than November 15, 2009 on the results of those consultations; and
- To consider and make recommendations on the annual reports, rolling three-year service plans and budgets of the following statutory officers:
- Auditor General
- Chief Electoral Officer
- Conflict of Interest Commissioner
- Information and Privacy Commissioner
- Merit Commissioner
- Police Complaint Commissioner
- Representative for Children and Youth; and,
- To examine, inquire into and make recommendations with respect to other matters brought to the Committee's attention by any of the Officers listed in 2(a) above.
- That the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services be the committee referred to in sections 19, 20, 21 and 23 of the Auditor General Act and that the performance report in section 22 of the Auditor General Act be referred to the committee.
In addition to the powers previously conferred upon the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services, the committee shall be empowered:
- to appoint of their number, one or more subcommittees and to refer to such subcommittees any of the matters referred to the Committee;
- to sit during a period in which the House is adjourned, during the recess after prorogation until the next following Session and during any sitting of the House;
- to adjourn from place to place as may be convenient; and
- to retain personnel as required to assist the Committee,
and shall report to the House as soon as possible, or following any adjournment, or at the next following Session, as the case may be; to deposit the original of its reports with the Clerk of the Legislative Assembly during a period of adjournment and upon resumption of the sittings of the House, the Chair shall present all reports to the Legislative Assembly.