2002 Legislative Session: 3rd Session, 37th Parliament
The following electronic version is for informational
The printed version remains the official version.
Certified correct as passed Third Reading on the 5th day of
Ian D. Izard, Law Clerk
HONOURABLE SHIRLEY BOND
MINISTER OF ADVANCED EDUCATION
HER MAJESTY, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of British Columbia, enacts as follows:
1 Section 5 of the Open Learning Agency Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 341, is amended by striking out "a board consisting of 11 members" and substituting "a board consisting of at least one and not more than 11 members".
2 The following sections are added:
19 The minister may decide that the affairs of the agency are to be wound up in accordance with either section 20 or 21.
20 (1) If the minister decides that the affairs of the agency are to be wound up in accordance with this section, the minister may request that the board prepare and submit to the minister for approval a plan for winding up the affairs of the agency and the board must comply within 6 months of the request.
(2) The minister may approve, approve with modifications the minister considers necessary or advisable or reject a plan submitted under subsection (1) and if the minister rejects the plan, the board must prepare, in accordance with the minister's directions, a new plan for approval under this subsection.
(3) The board must wind up the agency in accordance with the plan approved under subsection (2).
(4) Despite any provision of this Act, on and after the date the minister approves a plan under subsection (2), the powers, duties and functions of the board under this Act must be exercised or performed in a manner consistent with the powers, duties and functions of the board under the plan approved under subsection (2).
(5) During the winding up period approved under subsection (2), the board must provide the minister with information and reports within the time and in the manner specified by the minister.
21 (1) If the minister decides that the affairs of the agency are to be wound up in accordance with this section, despite any provision of this Act, the minister may appoint a transition administrator for the purpose of winding up the affairs of the agency.
(2) On the appointment of a transition administrator under subsection (1),
(a) the appointment of each member of the board is rescinded,
(b) the transition administrator is deemed to be the board, and
(c) the transition administrator must transfer the rights, property, assets, obligations and liabilities of the agency as directed by the minister.
22 This Act is repealed by regulation of the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
3 (1) On the repeal of sections 2 and 5 of the Open Learning Agency Act,
(a) the Open Learning Agency is dissolved,
(b) unless a transition administrator has been appointed, the appointment of each member of the board of the agency is rescinded,
(c) if a transition administrator has been appointed under section 21 of the Open Learning Agency Act, the appointment of the transition administrator is rescinded,
(d) any remaining rights, property and assets of the agency are transferred to and vested in the government, and
(e) the government assumes any remaining obligations and liabilities of the agency.
(2) On and after the date on which sections 2 and 5 of the Open Learning Agency Act are repealed, a reference to the Open Learning Agency in any commercial paper, contract, lease, licence, permit or other instrument or document is deemed to be a reference to the government.
[ Return to: Legislative Assembly Home Page ]
Copyright © 2002: Queen's Printer, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada