1893 to 1898 - Construction
The original budget for the new Parliament Buildings was set at $600,000. At the time, this was over one-third of the province's entire annual revenue. Due to the challenges of a project of this size, including disputes with contractors and work stoppages, the total came to just over $900,000. The first load of stone had to be returned because Rattenbury realized it would be too dark for the
north facing main facade.
Although there was universal praise for the quality of the design and the workmanship, upon completion in 1898, opinion was divided. Most were understandably proud of the magnificent new structure overlooking Victoria's harbour. Others saw it as a wasteful extravagance at a time when the economy was beginning to weaken again. Skeptics could not imagine that there would ever be enough people in B.C.'s government to fill the many empty corridors of the new building.
To make way for the new Parliament Buildings, the Birdcages were either moved or disassembled. The last Birdcage was converted into a provincial mineral museum. This, however, did not last, as the museum burnt down on March 27, 1957.