Benefits of the Teachers' Institute
Attendees can expect to:
- Develop in-depth knowledge of B.C.'s parliamentary system;
- Meet with MLAs and key Legislative Assembly staff;
- Engage in discussions to further promote understanding of and appreciation for parliamentary democracy and the work of the Legislative Assembly;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues from across the province to develop new lesson plans or classroom activities; and,
- Share and receive resources on B.C.’s parliamentary system.
Both new and experienced teachers are invited to apply; however, all applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Applicant has not previously participated in a session of the B.C. Teachers’ Institute;
- Applicant is a certified teacher and is currently working in B.C.’s K-12 education system;
- Applicant will continue working in B.C.’s education system in the next school year.
applications from learning assistance teachers, administrators or educators who are not currently working in a classroom setting will also be considered.
A registration fee of $175.00 includes all meals, accommodation and resources. Travel subsidies are available for teachers who reside in distant or remote locations outside Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland.
Teachers are responsible for arranging coverage of Teacher Teaching on Call costs through their school or district.
Teachers are able to defer their attendance once. If a teacher who has registered for the current session cancels their attendance within one month of the session start date, they are ineligible for deferral and must re-apply the following year.
brochure about the B.C. Teachers' Institute on Parliamentary Democracy.