Benefits of the Teachers' Institute
Attendees can expect to:
- Develop in-depth knowledge of B.C.'s parliamentary system;
- Meet with MLAs and key Legislative Assembly staff;
- Engage in discussions to further promote understanding of and appreciation for parliamentary democracy and the work of the Legislative Assembly;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues from across the province to develop new lesson plans or classroom activities; and,
- Share and receive resources on B.C.’s parliamentary system.
Both new and experienced teachers are invited to apply; however, all applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Applicant has not previously participated in a session of the B.C. Teachers’ Institute;
- Applicant is a certified teacher and is currently working in B.C.’s K-12 education system;
- Applicant will continue working in B.C.’s education system in the next school year.
Please Note: applications from learning assistance teachers, administrators or educators who are not currently working in a classroom setting may be considered.
A registration fee of $175.00 includes all meals, accommodation and resources. Travel subsidies are available for teachers who reside in distant or remote locations outside Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland.
Teachers are responsible for arranging coverage of Teacher Teaching on Call costs through their school or district.
Teachers are able to defer their attendance once. If a teacher who has registered for the current session cancels their attendance within one month of the session start date, they are ineligible for deferral and must re-apply the following year.
Download a brochure about the B.C. Teachers' Institute on Parliamentary Democracy.
Teachers who have attended a prior session of the B.C. Teachers’ Institute on Parliamentary Democracy are eligible to apply to return as a facilitator.
Facilitators are the first point of contact and provide ongoing guidance and support to participants. Facilitators are expected to be approachable, knowledgeable and to have excellent organizational and leadership skills. In addition, facilitators will have the ability to promote discussion and critical inquiry into key aspects of parliamentary democracy. Successful applicants will have their travel, accommodation, meals and Teacher Teaching on Call costs paid for by the B.C. Teachers’ Institute. Please see the roles and expectations of our facilitators here.
B.C. Teachers' Institute Alumni Corner
To update your Alumni contact information with the Parliamentary Education Office, please contact us by email at PEO@leg.bc.ca.