The all-party Special Committee to Review the Independent Investigations Office (IIO) has completed its examination of the IIO’s administration and general operations.
The Committee's report was issued on February 23, 2015.
Terms of Reference
On February 11, 2015, the Legislative Assembly agreed that a Special Committee to Review the Independent Investigations Office be appointed to examine, inquire into and make recommendations with respect to the administration and general operations of the Independent Investigations Office in accordance with section 38.13 of the
Police Act [RSBC 1996, c. 367] and in particular:
- To conduct a review of:
- The administration and general operations of the Independent Investigations Office; and
- The Chief Civilian Director's progress towards a goal of having an Independent Investigations Office that is staffed entirely with employees and Independent Investigations Office investigators who have never served as officers or members of a police or law enforcement agency.
- To consider written and oral submissions received during the Third Session of the 40th Parliament.
- To submit a report, including any recommendations respecting the results of the review, to the Legislative Assembly by February 25, 2015.
The Special Committee shall have the powers of a Select Standing Committee and in addition is empowered:
- to appoint of their number one or more subcommittees and to refer to such subcommittees any of the matters referred to the Committee;
- to sit during a period in which the House is adjourned, during the recess after prorogation until the next following Session and during any sitting of the House;
- to adjourn from place to place as may be convenient; and
- to retain such personnel as required to assist the Committee;
and shall report to the House as soon as possible, or following any adjournment, or at the next following Session, as the case may be; to deposit the original of its reports with the Clerk of the Legislative Assembly during a period of adjournment and upon resumption of the sittings of the House, the Chair shall present all reports to the Legislative Assembly.
|https://www.leg.bc.ca/parliamentary-business/committees-reports/10||2015-02-23T08:00:00Z||<a href="/content/CommitteeDocuments/40th-parliament/4th-session/iio/reports/PDF/Rpt-IIO-40-4-Report-2015-FEB-23.pdf" target="_blank"><img alt="" src="/_layouts/15/IMAGES/icpdf.png" />PDF</a>||0||Special Committee to Review the Independent Investigations Office |
Follow Up Process