The Select Standing Committee on Agriculture, Fish and Food is one of 10 permanent committees of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia. On February 15, 2023, the Committee was empowered to examine carbon sequestration and related technology in British Columbia's agricultural sector. Further details can be found in the Committee's Terms of Reference.
Terms of Reference
On February 15, 2023, the Legislative Assembly agreed that the Select Standing Committee on Agriculture, Fish and Food be empowered to examine carbon sequestration and related technology in British Columbia's agricultural sector and make recommendations with respect to:
- Opportunities to increase carbon content in agricultural soils in British Columbia.
- Supports for British Columbia's agricultural technology sector as they relate to carbon sequestration.
- Supports and incentives for encouraging the use of made-in-BC agricultural technology innovations to enhance carbon sequestration.
That, in addition to the powers previously conferred upon Select Standing Committees of the House, the Select Standing Committee on Agriculture, Fish and Food be empowered to:
- appoint of its number one or more subcommittees and to refer to such subcommittees any of the matters referred to the Committee and to delegate to the subcommittees all or any of its powers except the power to report directly to the House;
- sit during a period in which the House is adjourned, during the recess after prorogation until the next following Session and during any sitting of the House;
- conduct consultations by any means the Committee considers appropriate;
- adjourn from place to place as may be convenient; and
- retain personnel as required to assist the Committee.
That the Committee report to the House by February 29, 2024; and that during a period of adjournment, the Committee deposit its reports with the Clerk of the Legislative Assembly, and upon resumption of the sittings of the House, or in the next following Session, as the case may be, the Chair present all reports to the House.
Follow Up Process