The all-party Select Standing Committee on Children and Youth works to foster greater awareness and understanding among legislators and the public of the BC child and youth-serving system. The Committee also provides a public forum for discussion of reports by the Representative for Children and Youth.
The Select Standing Committee on Children and Youth is one of nine permanent all-party committees of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia.
Terms of Reference
On July 8, 2013, the Legislative Assembly agreed that the Select Standing Committee on Children and Youth be appointed to be empowered to foster greater awareness and understanding among legislators and the public of the BC child welfare system, and in particular to:
- Be the committee that receives and reviews the annual service plan from the Representative for Children and Youth (the “Representative”) that includes a statement of goals and identifies specific objectives and performance measures that will be required to exercise the powers and perform the functions and duties of the Representative during the fiscal year;
- Be the committee to which the Representative reports, at least annually;
- Refer to the Representative for investigation the critical injury or death of a child; and
- Receive and consider all reports and plans delivered by the Representative to the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia.
In addition to the powers previously conferred upon Select Standing Committees of the House, the Select Standing Committee on Children and Youth be empowered:
- to appoint of their number one or more subcommittees and to refer to such subcommittees any of the matters referred to the Committee;
- to sit during a period in which the House is adjourned, during the recess after prorogation until the next following Session and during any sitting of the House;
- to adjourn from place to place as may be convenient; and
- to retain personnel as required to assist the Committee;
and shall report to the House as soon as possible, or following any adjournment, or at the next following Session, as the case may be; to deposit the original of its reports with the Clerk of the Legislative Assembly during a period of adjournment and upon resumption of the sittings of the House, the Chair shall present all reports to the Legislative Assembly.
Follow Up Process