The Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services is one of ten permanent committees of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia. The Committee holds an annual public consultation on the provincial budget; the Budget 2021 consultation will take place in June 2020. The Committee also reviews and considers the annual reports, service plans and budget estimates of B.C.'s nine statutory offices.
Terms of Reference
On February 18, 2020, the Legislative Assembly agreed that the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services be empowered to:
Examine, inquire into and make recommendations with respect to the budget consultation paper prepared by the Minister of Finance in accordance with section 2 of the
Budget Transparency and Accountability Act (S.B.C. 2000, c. 23) and, in particular, to:
Conduct public consultations across British Columbia on proposals and recommendations regarding the provincial budget and fiscal policy for the coming fiscal year by any means the Committee considers appropriate; and
Prepare a report no later than November 15, 2020, on the results of those consultations.
That the Committee be empowered to consider and make recommendations on the annual reports, rolling three-year service plans and budgets of the statutory officers, namely, the:
- Auditor General
- Chief Electoral Officer
- Conflict of Interest Commissioner
- Human Rights Commissioner
- Information and Privacy Commissioner
- Merit Commissioner
- Police Complaint Commissioner
- Representative for Children and Youth
and that the Committee be empowered to inquire into and make recommendations with respect to other matters brought to the Committee's attention by any of aforementioned statutory officers.
That the Committee be designated as the Committee referred to in sections 19, 20, 21 and 23 of the
Auditor General Act (R.S.B.C. 2003, c. 2) and that the report in section 22 of the
Auditor General Act (R.S.B.C. 2003, c. 2) be referred to the Committee.
That, in addition to the powers previously conferred upon the Select Standing Committes of the House, the Committee be empowered to:
- Appoint of its number one or more subcommittees and to refer to such subcommittees any of the matters referred to the Committee and to delegate to the subcommittees all or any of its powers except the power to report directly to the House;
- Sit during a period in which the House is adjourned, during the recess after prorogation until the next following Session and during any sitting of the House;
- Conduct consultations by any means the Committee considers appropriate;
- Adjourn from place to place as may be convenient; and
- Retain personnel as required to assist the Committee;
and shall report to the House as soon as possible, or following any adjournment, or at the next following Session, as the case may be; to deposit the original of its reports with the Clerk of the Legislative Assembly during a period of adjournment and upon resumption of the sittings of the House, the Chair shall present all reports to the Legislative Assembly.
Follow Up Process