The Select Standing Committee on Crown Corporations is one of ten permanent all-party committees of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia.
On November 27, 2018 the Legislative Assembly authorized the Committee to examine, inquire into and make recommendations on regulations regarding transportation network services in British Columbia. The Committee must report to the Legislative Assembly by March 31, 2019.
Further information on the work of the Committee is available in its Terms of Reference.
Terms of Reference
On November 27, 2018 the Legislative Assembly agreed that a the Select Standing Committee on Crown Corporations be authorized to examine, inquire into and make recommendations on regulations regarding transportation network services in British Columbia;
That the Committee be authorized to meet for up to three days to hear from expert witnesses; and
That the Committee shall limit its consideration to forming recommendations on the following:
- criteria to consider when establishing boundaries;
- appropriate policies to balance the supply of service with consumer demand, including the application of the Passenger Transportation Board’s current public convenience and necessity regime as it pertains to transportation network services;
- criteria to be considered when establishing price and fare regimes that balance affordability with reasonable business rates of return for service providers; and
- appropriate classes of drivers' licences, including but not limited to ensuring a robust safety regime without creating an undue barrier for drivers.
In addition to the powers previously conferred upon the Select Standing Committee on Crown Corporations, the Committee shall be empowered:
- to appoint of their number one or more subcommittees and to refer to such subcommittees any of the matters referred to the Committee;
- to sit during a period in which the House is adjourned, during the recess after prorogation until the next following Session and during any sitting of the House;
- to adjourn from place to place as may be convenient; and
- to retain personnel as required to assist the Committee,
And shall report to the Legislative Assembly no later than March 31, 2019, and shall deposit the original of its reports with the Clerk of the Legislative Assembly during a period of adjournment and upon resumption of the sittings of the House, or at the next following Session, the Chair shall present all reports to the Legislative Assembly.
Follow Up Process