The Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services is one of ten permanent all-party committees of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia. The Committee’s Terms of Reference include: to conduct annual public consultations on the provincial budget; to review and consider the annual reports, service plans and budget estimates of B.C.'s eight statutory offices; and to appoint an independent auditor to audit the financial statements of the Auditor General for each of the fiscal years to be completed during the term of a Parliament.
Further information on the role, functions and work of the Committee, is included in its
Terms of Reference.
Terms of Reference
On February 26, 2018, the Legislative Assembly agreed that the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services be empowered:
- To examine, inquire into and make recommendations with respect to the budget consultation paper prepared by the Minister of Finance in accordance with
section 2 of the
Budget Transparency and Accountability Act, S.B.C. 2000, c. 23 and, in particular, to:
- Conduct public consultations across British Columbia on proposals and recommendations regarding the provincial budget and fiscal policy for the coming fiscal year by any means the committee considers appropriate;
- Prepare a report no later than November 15, 2018 on the results of those consultations; and
- To consider and make recommendations on the annual reports, rolling three-year service plans and budgets of the following statutory officers:
- Auditor General
- Chief Electoral Officer
- Conflict of Interest Commissioner
- Information and Privacy Commissioner
- Merit Commissioner
- Police Complaint Commissioner
- Representative for Children and Youth; and
- To examine, inquire into and make recommendations with respect to other matters brought to the Committee's attention by any of the Officers listed in 2 (a) above.
- To be the committee referred to in the sections 19, 20, 21 and 23 of the
Auditor General Act, S.B.C. 2003, c. 2 and that the performance report in
section 22 of the
Auditor General Act, S.B.C. 2003, c. 2, be referred to the committee.
In addition to the powers previously conferred upon the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services, the committee shall be empowered:
- to appoint of their number one or more subcommittees and to refer to such subcommittees any of the matters referred to the Committee;
- to sit during a period in which the House is adjourned, during the recess after prorogation until the next following Session and during any sitting of the House;
- to adjourn from place to place as may be convenient; and
- to retain personnel as required to assist the Committee,
and shall report to the House as soon as possible, or following any adjournment, or at the next following Session, as the case may be; to deposit the original of its reports with the Clerk of the Legislative Assembly during a period of adjournment and upon resumption of the sittings of the House, the Chair shall present all reports to the Legislative Assembly.
Follow Up Process