The Select Standing Committee on Public Accounts is one of ten permanent all-party committees of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia. The Committee reviews and reports to the Legislative Assembly on the audit reports of the Auditor General of British Columbia, providing a public forum for the scrutiny of the economy, effectiveness and efficiency of government organizations. The Committee also reviews the follow-up action plans by audited government organizations implementing report recommendations.
Terms of Reference
On February 21, 2019, the Legislative Assembly agreed:
- That all reports of the Auditor General of British Columbia transmitted to the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly be deemed referred to the Select Standing Committee on Public Accounts, with the exception of the report referred to in section 22 of the
Auditor General Act, RS.B.C. 2003, c. 2, which is referred to the Select Standing Committee on Finance and Government Services; and,
- That the Select Standing Committee on Public Accounts be the committee referred to in sections 6, 7, 10, 13 and 14 of the Auditor General Act, S.B.C. 2003, c. 2.
In addition to the powers previously conferred upon the Select Standing Committee on Public Accounts, the committee be empowered:
- to appoint of their number one or more subcommittees and to refer to such subcommittees any of the matters referred to the committee and to delegate to the subcommittee all or any of its powers except the power to report directly to the House;
- to sit during a period in which the House is adjourned, during the recess after prorogation until the next following Session and during any sitting of the House;
- to adjourn from place to place as may be convenient; and
- to retain personnel as required to assist the committee;
and shall report to the House as soon as possible, or following any adjournment, or at the next following Session, as the case may be; to deposit the original of its reports with the Clerk of the Legislative Assembly during a period of adjournment and upon resumption of the sittings of the House, the Chair shall present all reports to the Legislative Assembly.
Follow Up Process